09 November 2007

Platting Out Kentucky Properties

When I was at the Family History Library last May, I scanned several deeds from Bourbon County, Kentucky for James Tinsley and Thomas Sledd, two of my ancestors.




This deed dated 2 April 1814, transferred property from Thomas Sledd to George Henry, part of the deed is shown in this post--the part that contains part of the metes and bounds description of the property.










I like to use a program called DeedMapper to plat out the parcels to get an idea of how they are shaped. DeedMapper requires the description of the property to be entered in a specific format, but it's really not to difficult to do that. The screen image shows how I did that for the Sledd deed.




DeedMapper will plat out the property. The first image shows it REALLY SMALL with the lines/corners shown.

The second image is larger and only shows the directions of each line. It gives a little better perspective. What I really need to do is fit all the deeds together in order to better understand what property Thomas Sledd owned at his death and how that property was allocated amongst his heirs.

Labels: , ,

22 October 2007

Mapping the Sledds in Kentucky

The first image in this post in a plat of an estate division from Nicholas County, Kentucky in the 1830s for the estate of Thomas Sledd. Several things worthy of note here:



  • Thomas Sledd's estate was actually probated in Bourbon County, shortly after his death in 1814.

  • This plat is actually upside down (which I learned when I used DeedMapper to plat the properties out using the legal descriptions)

  • This document was recorded in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

This image was made from a microfilm scan I made while at the Family History Library last May on our annual trip. I have only reproduced the part of the deeds that show the map.


Thomas Sledd was my 5th great-grandfather, his daughter Belinda (Melinda) married Augusta Newman in 1815 and is my 4th great-grandmother.


Another helpful scan I made was the "title" page from the microfilm. I then saved that image along with the scan from the deed books so I could track my source. And we all know how important that is.

In a future post, we'll talk about how DeedMapper was used to plat the properties out "correctly."





Labels: ,